Fan stabbed after Anfield FA Cup clash

Share Button
Anfield © Google Earth

Anfield © Google Earth

A football fan was stabbed following yesterday’s FA Cup third round tie between Liverpool FC and Oldham Athletic at Anfield.

Oldham supporter Mark Gregory was stabbed five times on Lower Breck Road, close to the Flat Iron pub and the stadium, shortly after the Latics had lost 2-0 to hosts Liverpool.

However, he is refusing to speak to detectives according to a Merseyside Police spokesperson.

The 35-year-old flagged down a passing ambulance at around 5.15pm and was taken to Royal Liverpool University Hospital, where he has had an operation to stop internal bleeding, his wife has revealed.

Mr Gregory’s wife Louise posted on Facebook that he had been stabbed four times on his backside and once at the top of his leg.

She added that he had an operation to repair damage caused by internal bleeding and had lost a lot of blood.

Louise, from Dukinfield, wrote: “Update on hubby. He was stabbed 4 xs on his left buttock and 1 stab at the top of his leg. He has just had an op to stop an internal bleed. He’s lost alot of blood , so he’s having that pumped back in.”

Jamie Harrison, 37, an Oldham fan who attended the match, passed the scene moments after the incident had happened.

He said: “The atmosphere had been fine all through the match and just outside the ground.

The stabbing incident happened close to the Flat Iron pub © Google Earth

The stabbing incident happened close to the Flat Iron pub © Google Earth

“I was in The Flat Iron pub and came out to see it all happening about 500 yards down the street. I feel really lucky – if I had walked out the pub five minutes earlier I would have walked into the trouble and it looked really nasty.”

Merseyside Police has launched an appeal for anyone who witnessed the attack to come forward.

Detective Chief Inspector Andy O’Connor said: “I want to reassure people that we are conducting a thorough investigation to establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident.

“This was a nasty assault which has left a man in hospital. The area was very busy with both football fans and passing motorists when the incident took place and I’m confident some people will have seen what happened.

“I would appeal to anyone who witnessed the incident, or has any other information, to get in touch with us, either through St Anne Street CID on 0151 777 4064, or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.”

About Jack Birch, JMU Journalism